In selecting Roberto Rocca Fellows the Scientific Committee evaluates candidates in
accordance with the following criteria:
- Previous professional and academic experience. We look for candidates with a
record of excelling in all their previous professional and academic endeavors.
- Designated university and department for Ph.D. studies. Although candidates
are free to designate the university and department for their Ph.D. studies, we look for candidates
who are studying or will study at universities that are distinguished for the quality of their education
- Capacity to successfully carry out the proposed Ph.D. project. A Ph.D. is a major
intellectual and personal challenge. We look for candidates that demonstrate that they are up to that
- Proposed area of Ph.D. research. We are especially interested in candidates whose
research offer potential benefits to the steel industry (see the list of disciplines and focus areas under
Eligibility requirements for more details).
- Commitment to the economic and industrial development of home country. While candidates
are not obligated to return to their home country upon completion of their Ph.D., we carefully analyze each
candidate's career plans to assess the contribution they could make to their home country.